Thursday, October 14, 2010

Train Talk

Geo Trax or Thomas? Wood or die cast? Take-Along or Early Engineer? If you are the mom of a little boy then you know all too well what I am talking about. I have found that choosing a train set is harder than choosing a wedding dress and china pattern. At least the train set will get more use.
I recently acquired a massive collection of like new Geo Trax complete with accessories. The first thing I noticed is that Geo Trax has a "big kid" look to it which ups the chances that my kids will play with it for a longer timespan than Thomas. Even though it looks like a toy for older kids, my at the time two and a half year old needed little help in creating a massive track. My favorite part of the Geo Trax system is that each engine can be remote controlled with a very user friendly joystick. I also like that each engine comes with a removable engineer adding a whole new realm of play. When I asked my husband which set he would've preferred, he said Geo Trax is much cooler than Thomas.
Don't get me wrong. I do like Thomas a lot. In fact I am pondering a set as a Christmas gift. I just find the whole brand to be a little overwhelming and expensive. Instead of just one style there are wood and die cast and then there is the Track Master Series, Take Along, as well as Early Engineers. I have no idea if all of the the Thomas trains and track are interchangeable but I'm guessing they aren't which would have greatly frustrated me as a child.
As if I wasn't confused enough, Disney has started making the trains from their cartoon Chuggington. They are so adorable and very affordable. There is a track system you can buy for them but I watched a review on YouTube that says they work on the Thomas wooden tracks. That's a plus. (Geo Trax fits on our wooden tracks as well). I'm thinking Santa might bring of few of the Chuggington trains to our house this Christmas. Right now they are buy one get one half off at Toys R Us which means you can get two for around $8. They are die cast but feel a little lighter than the Thomas die cast. I don't like the heavy ones simply because I can think of three head injuries that have occurred from engines being tossed around by little hands.
Despite my research and opinions on all three of the brands, you know good and well that I am going to end up with a collection of all three!

Which do your kids like best and why? Please include your child's age.

To all of you with little girls. Imaginarium makes a precious girly wooden train set!

No comments:

Post a Comment